I’ve never really been big on New Year’s Resolutions, or yearly reflection — “resolving” should be something that’s not only done once a year and I’m not sure I believe much in “reflection” because I think it’s important to look forward. However, this year I feel I need a little bit of both. The past few months of this year have been somewhat mentally and physically tough for me dealing with family health and work issues and it’s tainted my image of the whole year. Doing some reflecting on the year as a whole, though, it’s actually been quite a good year and I feel like I’ve accomplished a lot! So here’s my year in reflection, focusing on the positive…
- I began running and overcome my fear that I “couldn’t do it”
- I found a passion in running
- I ran my first half marathon…and then two others
- I PR’d during all 3 half marathon’s I ran
- I over came a running injury
- I started this blog and made wonderful new friends through the running/blogging world
- Through running, I’ve learned to push my limits and face my fears
- I let a wonderful man into my life and move in with my boyfriend in July (from a previous commitment phobe, this is a big one)
- I lived in 1 city and stayed at 1 job for all of 2011!!!! — this will make my tax return a lot easier🙂, but I also think it signifies growing up and commitment
- I earned a raise at my job
- I’ve embraced all seasons by running in the rain, cold, wind and extreme heat
- I took the time to travel (2 weeks in Italy being the big trip) and enjoyed life!
- I challenged myself (or lost my mind) and registered for the Paris 2012 Marathon and began training
- …and finally, I finished out the year still standing STRONG!
So yeah, overall it was a pretty good year. 2012 is going to be an even better year and I can tell you this with complete confidence because I’m going to make it happen. After all, we chose our own destiny and although we can not predict or control “bad times,” we can control how we deal with them. I don’t want to call them resolutions, but below are my goals for 2012:
- Run the Paris 2012 marathon and finish STRONG. Hopefully that means in 4:30:00 time, but if I finish in 5 hours or longer and still feel good afterwards, I’ve accomplished my goal.
- I’m going to travel, because I love experiencing different cultures
- Be better at making commitments with friends — after all, I cherish and appreciate my friends, I need to show it more
- Find satisfaction in my job, or find a job where I can find that satisfaction
- Enjoy life.
QUESTION: What are your plans for 2012? Do you believe in resolutions and a yearly reflection?